Sesame Seed Bar with Honey (Pasteli)
1 and 1/3 cups of honey
3 cups of hulled white sesame seeds
1 strip of lemon peel (optional to give the pasteli a light hint of lemon.)
1. In a saucepan, bring honey and lemon peel to a boil. Add sesame seeds stirring continuously and continue to cook while stirring to mix completely and thoroughl.
2. When the seeds are fully mixed in and the mixture has boiled again, remove from heat. Remove and discard lemon peel.
3. Spread a piece of baking parchment on a cool work surface and spread out the hot mixture thinly and evenly, on the paper (about 0.5 centimeter high).
4. When the pasteli cools to room temperature, refrigerate, as is, on the parchment paper (it doesn’t need to be covered). Chill for at least 2-3 hours.
5. With a kitchen shears, cut the pasteli into small pieces, together with the parchment paper on the bottom, and serve. To eat, peel off the parchment paper.
6. Store in the refrigerator.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
Serving suggestions: Pasteli is a healthy candy that can be eaten at any time, as an energy booster, and it goes wonderfully well as an accompaniment to tea. Because it is very sweet, cut in small pieces. Those with a sweet tooth can always select several!